Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another example of MERLD

Just wanted to add another example of how MERLD effects my son's understanding and response to spoken language.

Today when my husband came home Will was pretty happy to see him. My husband asked for a high five to which Will gave him one. Then my husband held out his two hands and said high five, which was reciprocated as well. 

My husband then encouraged him to hit harder (Will's muscle strength is really weak and my husband was trying to have him apply more effort). After a few weak high fives my husband says "Give me 3!" (asking for three quick high fives) What does out dear son do? We watched as he carefully put up three fingers on each hand and gave his father a "High 3"

Sometimes I find this adorable and heartbreaking at the same time.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

((HUGS)) Will is so sweet. I can understand how you can feel happy and sad at the same time though. Will is very lucky to have you two as parents.

Pam said...

I have read your blog and see so much similarity with your son and my daughter. She will be starting kindergarten in August. Your blog gives me hope that there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Thank you for sharing your story