Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Little School Freak Out - I feel entitled.


Soooooo its now Aug 10th.  School starts for Will September 8th.  It was about 2 days ago that I started to really think about Will going to school.  I've been watching him all summer going to "speech school".  This is a class of 5 kids all with speech/language issues that meets 2x/week for 1.5 hours.  He has the same teacher he had this last school year.  In the beginning of summer I was really impressed with Will.  He answered most questions asked of him and tried to answer for others.  He seems to attend fairly well.  Cut to the end of summer and he seems to be checking out a bit, acting out a bit too. 

I know I am suppose to have the happy optimistic outlook for how schools going to go this year, but right now I'm panicking.  The good news is that since he is repeating K next year whenever I hear he's not where his peers are I can say this is why we are giving him another year to master these skills.

So what have I decided to do to help ease this time for Will???.......I went shopping.  Because the truth is there isn't too much I can do to determine how successful Will is this school year, but by golly that kid will have new scuff free shoes to wear.  Of course I plan to be in his teacher's/OT/ST ear all year long and volunteer in the school as much as they'll let me (yes - do know how fortunate I am that I can stay at home and do this.  I am VERY thankful.)  But in truth Will's success will in large part fall on him.  Seems like a lot to ask of a 4 year old - don't you think? 

One more month to enjoy.....and worry. Oy.

No comments: