Monday, August 2, 2010

Perspective - it's a strange thing

Just a quick note on perspective.  As I've written in the past Will has a Mixed Expressive Receptive Language Disorder (MERLD- for short).  He got this diagnosis at 3.5 and again at 4.5 from the Camarata's.  This past year we took Will for a follow-up to see how much progress he had made.

Unfortunately Mary couldn't get though all of the language testing on that day (she had forgotten about our appointment and we started an hour late.)  I told her Will's teacher was testing his language as well and Mary requested I send along these test results to help her finish and round out her report.

Well I finally got around to sending her the information she needed yesterday (we went for the visit in February and I had Will's test results in May).  I know slacker, but in truth I was dreading a bit sending the results, and I wanted to just concentrate on how well Will is doing right now in the real world and not on some test.

The teacher's results said Will was in the 5th percentile for Receptive Language and .3 percentile for Expressive Language.

Let's be honest when you read a report that states numbers like these it's a bit depressing, which is another reason I just put off sending the results off to Mary.

About 12 hours after I sent that email I got a reply from Mary that follows;

"Great. I will get the report right off.  I am also happy to hear about how the summer is going language-wise...and fun-wise for Will. It is nice to see the gains in Receptive Language as per the CELF-PRE. Nice! Gains in receptive language most often precede expressive gains. This bodes well. I will get the report to you. Good to hear from you. Mary Camarata."

I guess I need to leave interpreting test results to the experts. After reading this I realized Mary was right already as this test was given back in April/May and Will has shown some bigger gains expressively this summer.

Just one more reason I feel blessed to have found wonderful doctors for Will.

Perspective - it's a strange thing.

No comments: