Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Am I living in an alternate universe?

Do you remember in the movie the Sound of Music???  The scene where they sing "I must of have done something good." Well that is how I am feeling right now.  I have been reading recently blogs, message boards of fellow mothers with "different" kids and a lot of them are doing the beginning of the school year struggle.  A few have gone so far as removing their child from the daycare/preschool/Kindergarten, then deal with people who don’t want to help their child. 

Well let me tell you a little story that happened yesterday, which happened to have been Will’s 5th birthday........

As Will’s 5th birthday only happens once I decided to bring in donuts and cider to celebrate his day with his classmates.  I showed up while the class was in Spanish and set up the cups, plates, and napkins.  Then all the kids come in.  Will is all smiles saying “You came in!”  and trying to show me all the cool animals in the classroom.  His friends all gathered around him asking how old he is and he was happy to reply “Five years old”.  That response alone would have made his day for me but wait it gets so much better.

I turn to look and see Will’s special ed teacher.  I’ve not met her in person, but talked to her briefly on the phone a few weeks back.  A bit nervous on what she would say to me as Will’s 5 week IEP meeting was later in the day I approached her cautiously.  What proceeded to happen then I couldn’t have imagined even if I tried. I was told how much she loves Will and was asked how I managed to figure out what was going on with him and had taken him to the right doctors.  Then she says “The Einstein Syndrome is so fascinating. At first I was a bit of a skeptic, but as I read it and he had all of the traits listed I became convinced he isn’t on the spectrum.”  I was completely flummoxed!   “You read the book?!”  I asked  “Yes and I made my assistant read it too.  She thought he probably had Aspergers, now I am convincing everyone with this book that is not the case.”  She went on to tell me what a wonderful job I’m doing with Will and how she has applied things she read in the book in helping Will in the classroom. 

I practically skipped out of the school that morning.  But me being me was still nervous about the IEP review meeting later that day. By nature and hearing others past bad experiences I always enter these meeting cautiously.  I need not have worried.  Carl came with me and counting us there were 9 people in the room all to discuss Will.  Not intimidating in the least right?  What proceeded to happen was a big love fest of Will.  I was prepared for a meeting of  “Will can’t do this.....he can’t do that”  Instead it was ...... “He can do this....He is doing that!”  Everyone one of these teachers/aids/therapists had great things to say about Will.  A few wanted to change his IEP goals as he had met some already and to set up others that were more appropriate for him.  Also they wanted to take off things that were no longer happening anymore, potty training and some sensory stuff.  These were things I wanted removed, but felt it wasn’t worth the effort to fight over as this point, so having them want to voluntarily take then off was wonderful.  Most said he was easily correctable, direct-able and a pleasure to work with.  We heard how his classmates love him, how all the girls circle around him and help him with his lunch box and how they all wave goodbye to him when he leaves for his half day.  My heart was so full from that meeting. Will’s OT told me she emailed his last school district OT with one line “I heart Will” 

Then Will’s teacher gave us a copy of her report that went in his file sorry for the length, but I need to right this out......

10-12-10

"Will is a very bright, curious child.  He has an amazing smile that lights up the room.  He is loved and cared for by his peers.  The often write him notes or cards during center time.  They invite him to join them on the carpet.  Some days Will sits at circle time and other days he prefers to watch or listen from the perimeter of the rug or while playing in an adjoining area.  Even if he is engaged with another activity, Will is often  smiling and watching what the group is doing/learning.   He attends keenly to what is going on around him.  When he is interested in an activity or a toy, he becomes fully engrossed in what he is doing.  He is excited about math, counting, computers, magnetic letters and words! He read the entire poem of the week aloud to the class.  He reads aloud from Dr. Seuss books.  Last week during the engineering center, he joined a small group of classmates as they constructed a large building and added animals to it.  He joined me at the semi-circle table to work for 5 or 20 minutes on a task.  He enjoys Spanish class and likes to use the instruments and move to the music.  He is excited about the flannel board puppets that were used to tell the story one day.  He goes to hall meeting and sits amongst the children from various classrooms  and he goes to the auditorium with his Mr. K buddy and sits attentively for the most part.  He will listen to a re-direction from an older child and adjust his behavior.  For example, he will remove this feet from the back of the seat when asked.  He is a joy to work with and he teaches me so much every day.  Thank you for sharing such a fantastic little boy with me and with our classroom.”


I don’t think I could ask for more....do you?  Oh yeah after this love fest for Will we had a birthday party with family.  For the first time he really got into the idea of presents, candles on his cake, and enjoyed the party immensely.

It was a great day to start off 5!

2 comments:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

I hope you don't mind if I share this on Facebook. It just filled me up with so much joy.
I wish more people would study up on Einstein Syndrome/MERLD rather than stand around guessing or skeptically refusing to acknowledge something not so mainstream.
I'm so happy for Will having such a great 5th birthday. Most especially because it was the day after Jack's 5th birthday when evaluators took a huge whack out of our hearts and misdiagnosed Jack with low functioning autism.
I only regret not being more informed.
It always makes me feel better, knowing excellent parents out there got answers earlier, and were able to spend more time enjoying this wonderful phenomenon of late talking kids.
Well done, mom! You deserve this great news.

Unknown said...

!!!!!Absolutely amazing, Janet!!!!!

I am so happy for you guys and even happier it happened on the happiest of days - his 5th birthday!