Monday, September 20, 2010

Been afraid to say this outloud.....

Its been before school started that I've updated this blog, and maybe someone may wonder why.  Could it be the poops hit the fan? 

Truthfully school seems to be going pretty well.  I've spent this last week wondering when the other shoe was going to drop and didn't want to jinks anything by posting how wonderful the school has been.

The first day of school went down as a happy day for Will and Mommy.  He was so excited to ride the bus!  I had made him his own book "Will Goes to Kindergarten" and I think reading it every night and seeing himself in his classroom and pictures of his teacher, locker, etc. really helped with the adjustment. 

I've gotten either nice emails or phone calls from Will's support staff.  His SLP seems to want to utilizes the techniques the Camaratas had listed in their last report, so that is nice.  His teacher is already using the techniques I've given her before school started.  Right now their is NO pressure for Will to conform in the classroom.  If he doesn't want to participate he doesn't and when he does I have a feeling is rewarded and encouraged.  I've also been told he is not a distraction nor does he present any disiplinary issues, so that is good. He has been described by the school psychologist as easily distracted, to which I replied "well if you watched a french film with no subtitles you tell me how distracted you would be."  I think this got the point across.

The call from the special ed teacher that works with Will informed me that there was a meeting about Will and I guess the information that I wanted him to repeat K was discussed and agreed with.  She told me that are treating Will like a preschool student who happens to be taking K this year and will repeat next year.  Right now we are all concentrating on getting Will used to the routine and getting him more socialized and participating with the class.

More complex language is starting to creep in as well, but the scripting still continues.  So right now we are going with the flow and taking it one day at a time.  Hears to hoping we end the year as happy as we started it, for Will and I.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I'm so glad it's going well thus far! Sounds like you've found a good place. :)

If I remember correctly, Will's got the same kind of crazy memorization skills that Ethan has, right? Ethan scripted a lot when he was making that transition between silence and wanting to say something. The more language he gains, the less we see the scripting. He rarely scripts the way he used to now. He does still do it, but he's usually being silly and he mixes it up (makes funny stories/phrases with different scripts). We would think nothing of it if he were "typically developing." :)