Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Riding a wave of High Emotions

Yeah the title says volumes doesn't it?  I'm headed to my 2nd glass of wine right now.  What has me in such a state you wonder?  The same stupid crap.... school, my child etc. etc.

Today was a red letter day in this house.  We started it off with Will's 5 year routine physical.  A bit early, but he HAD to have his last vaccinations before the start of school.  He is growing like a weed, 90 something percentile for height, 88 for weight.  Tall and slim is what the doctor said.  So what is so bad about that??? Well Will HATES the doctor.  Since his memory is so wonderful he knows exactly what happens every time he goes there.....ouchies AKA shots.  Will's recall memory started as soon as we drove up to the office telling us that "Daddy go to doctor".  He waited beautifully in the waiting room, but as soon as his name was called the battle began.  Height and weight were a bit of a battle and then we went back to the exam room.  Fine again as we waited and then the doctor came in.  Truth be told he did AMAZING  compared to his 4 year exam and complied with all the exam as long as I came up with ways for him to comply.  The doctor asked him some questions and Will actually responded to the ones he could, which was nice.  She told us she was extremely happy with his language progress and thought he may just flourish in K this year.    Then it was time for the shots.  I can still hear, but I am positive I lost some hearing due to the screeching.  The nurse just about ran out when she tied to talk to Will after she gave the shots and he screamed at her with such passion I've not seen before.

We were both drained after that and after some mindless time watching the boob tube, both Will and I took a nap together upstairs.  I needed my energy for part II of the day... school open house.

As soon as we woke up I told Will we were going to ride a bus and meet his new teacher and school.  He seemed okay with it and even when asked what we were going to do at diner replied "teacher".  Again he did well enough.  Rode the bus like a champ and would have rode it again and again if I had let him.  Then we went on to meet the teacher,  Mrs. Pilon. 

If you read my blog you're probably wondering what happened to Mrs. Glasgens.  Well last Thurday we found out Will had gotten a last minute spot at our school of choice.  It has a lottery system in which we entered but lost sometime in March.  I guess we were high on the wait list and someone dropped out of school last week opening up a spot for Will.

I checked out his new teacher and was a bit amazed at our luck.  She won a teaching excellence award and went to the White House last year to meet President Obama.  Pretty cool right?  But was she the right teacher for Will?

I dropped in on her classroom on Tuesday and immediately was feeling better about school.  I shared a little about Will and she told me she kind of understood since she has a 19 year old son with high functioning Autism and he didn't talk until 5, so she knew the anxiety I was feeling with Will.

Sorry got off the story there.  So the classroom visit went fairly well.  Will loved her room with all the toys and animals.  She has a snake, tarantula, bearded dragons, turtle an iguana and some other furry creatures.  She chatted with me again and we set up a meeting for Friday to discuss Will.  She was very reassuring and that was a good thing.  I was dreading a teacher who wanted only round pegs and would be non accepting of my cute square peg.

I just wish I had a heads up all those years ago that my preconceived ideas on school and how my child would be could be so entirely different than reality. 

School starts in a week.  I'm not sure I'm going to make it......Will on the other hand can't wait to ride the bus again.  Go figure.

No comments: