Saturday, September 4, 2010

Feeling blessed - Some things are meant to be.

Well if anyone actually is reading this blog you know school choices for Will have been the bane of my existence since last February, when we went through the whole K vs. preschool,  private vs. public.  Then the unfortunate non-acceptance from said private school (Grrrr that STILL makes me so mad - I heard they only have 6 kids this year for K, serves them right).

Anyway the last part of this ongoing saga the last minute switch to our school of choice.  This school is an international baccalaureate school.  I could try to explain it, but I'm not to adept at it so here is a link if you want to learn more.  IB information  After taking a tour of the school and going to one of their informational parent nights I was sold.  One thing I liked the most is they combine grades and the kids get the same teacher for both years.  So K is alone than grades 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 are together.  It's pretty cool.


We got this last minute spot that had I not brought my cell phone to our cabin in the woods and had a signal not made it too my phone we would have missed our chance to go.  Some times I think things really happen for a reason.  


Yesterday we had our meeting with Will's teacher.  I had taken Will to the open house on Wed. night and had gotten this wonderful email from his teacher on Thursday.


"...It was great to spend time with you and William last night. I enjoyed speaking with you and watching William as he was engaged in some activities in the room. He is a beautiful, bright and amazing young man.  I am looking forward to seeing you and your husband tomorrow morning. .....I am so excited to have William in our classroom. I will do everything possible to make sure he is appropriately challenged and always enjoying his time at school. See you soon,..."

I teared up just reading it and was hoping our meeting would go well.  It did!  I honestly do not think I could have hand picked a better teacher.  As I mentioned before in an earlier entry she has a child (19 now) that has high functioning autism, or so they told her.  She told me now she is not so sure on the diagnosis, but back then there was so little information about it.  The interesting thing is she would not let the school give him an autism label and fought and got a speech/language impairment label.   This information alone made me happy.  I shared with her the doctors reports from Nashville and told them a little bit about them.  She was totally open and supportive of our decisions to get answers for Will and wanted their email so she could "glean info from them".  Also we talked about how K this year was not what we really wanted for Will which is why we want him to repeat it again next year.  Her response was this was the best decision we could make.  "Give him the gift of time" were her words.  I couldn't agree more.  


We talked for 2 hours with her asking all kinds of wonderful questions on how Will learns, his interests, likes dislikes.  We were very frank about our concerns of Will's scripting and how we thought it could be an obstacle.  Evidently Will will not be her first student who has scripted and she was not at all concerned.  


Am I dreaming.......I hope I never wake up from this.  School starts in 4 days and for the first time in forever I am optimistic and excited to see how Will flourishes.  Fingers crossed.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you guys! May Will have a wonderful school year!